This recipe is in the ‘Top 50 Highest Rated’ recipes on Taste.com.au. Cooking this in one of our combi-steam ovens would take the flavour and texture to another level – crunchy crackling with nearly all the moisture retained in the meat…. Heaven!!!
- 1kg boneless pork belly (skin on)
- 1/2 firmly packed cup (110g) brown sugar
- 1/3 cup (80ml) red wine vinegar
- 2 star anise
- 1 cup (250ml) Campbell’s Real Stock Chicken
- Juice of 1 lime, plus wedges to serve
- 1 cup mint leaves
- 1 cup coriander leaves
- 1 cup Thai basil leaves (see note)
- 3 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1 long red chilli, deseeded, thinly sliced
- SAXA Pink Himalayan Salt Flakes, to season
Preheat the oven to 220°C.
Score the pork belly skin at 1cm intervals. Place the pork on a rack in a roasting pan, skin-side up. Rub 2 tablespoons of salt into the skin, then pour in enough water to fill the pan to just under the rack. Place in the oven and roast for 30 minutes or until the skin is crispy, then reduce the oven to 180°C and roast for a further 1 1/2 hours or until the meat is tender, topping up with water as necessary.
Meanwhile, place the brown sugar, red wine vinegar and star anise in a saucepan over low heat and stir to dissolve the sugar. Simmer for 5 minutes, then add the chicken stock and simmer for 5-6 minutes until the mixture has reduced by half. Add the lime juice and continue to reduce for 3-4 minutes until the mixture is syrupy. Allow caramel dressing to cool slightly.
To serve, transfer the pork belly to a board, carve into bite-sized cubes and arrange on a platter.
Drizzle the pork with the caramel dressing, then scatter with the mint, coriander, Thai basil, spring onion and red chilli. Serve with lime wedges to squeeze over.